Saturday, February 7, 2015

February 7, 2015 - Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day


"What’s the secret to success? There are no secrets. Be humble. Be hungry. And always be the hardest worker in the room." - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson



It is a beauty day here, the thought came to me that the first time that we came to the Ozarks the lady at the motel told us that if we didn't like the weather just wait a few minutes… that seems to tell the whole story, this week the temp. has been down to 0 degrees with a high of 30 degrees, had some rain and even got a little snow and today it's 65 degrees, bright sunshine clear day, not a cloud in the sky. 

I have started work on the woodworking bench that I need to do several other projects I have in mind. Before I could start work on it I needed some saw horses and I could have bought some but I wanted to make my own, so I spent some time looking on the ole internet and I found a design that I really liked. The design I chose is called The Shopdog Sawhorse and they fold up so storage is easy and they can be modified for several uses. The designer also has a good video on youtube if anyone is interested in them. They are not the easiest things to make but once they were done I think they are well worth the effort. I build two according to the plans and I found that they were a little low for what I wanted to use them for so I just added some extensions to the legs and they work very well. 




So I started on my workbench and again the Paul Sellers design I chose is not the easiest to build (good series of videos on youtube) but it has features that I want and I'm only building one so the extra time and expense is worth it to me. Maybe someday my Grandchildren will use it. I find myself as I get nearer the end of my road that I what to leave things behind that will be used by my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren etc… Things that I make with my own two hands may mean something to them someday, at least I would like to thing so. 

I have laminated the legs, they are almost done just a little more cleanup, planing, sanding, and have started laminating the top together. The weather had been so cold that I brought the pieces inside to glue them up so my living room has become a mini shop. Still another reason to build a enclosed workshop… Still on my project list. 







I found a couple of woodworking vises on ebay that I want to add to the bench so I bought them and they were delivered yesterday they are old Wilton vises that were used in a school wood shop. I don't think they even made these anymore and if they do I doubt if I could afford them. Even these weren't cheap but again they should last for generations and to me well worth it. Along that line of thinking I think it's a real shame that so many schools have stopped have shop classes because of budget cuts…I learned so much in the shop classes that I took and I still use a lot of that knowledge today. Getting off track again! 



One of my neighbors just fired what sounded to me to be a shotgun a couple of times, Herc got down from the bed and is laying next to me, but not on my feet, I guess he's starting to get use to it… lol 


Not much else going on just normal life stuff.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like it's going to be a nice work bench, I'm jealous lol

    ReplyDelete